Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The next five books...

The Graveyard Book is a Newberry award winner.  I don't always love to read books geared toward kids, but I really liked this one.  It was quirky and different and really  sweet.  It is about a boy who is raised in a graveyard by ghosts.

A Red Herring Without Mustard is the third Flavia DeLuce book and (sigh) I wish it wasn't over.  I love those books.  This one is my favorite so far.

Opal Fire--Well, to be honest with you, I was looking on the Amazon free kindle books and this one had a really cute cover.  So, I made an informed decision and got it. It is about a town full of unique characters and Stacy Justice (great name, right?) is trying to deal with the fact that her witch powers are growing stronger, as well as solve a mystery, hold down a job, deal with two handsome men who are vying for her attention, and keep tabs on her insane family  Poor Stacy.  She is such a great character, nice and snarky--that's how I like 'em. It's written with such a great voice, there were times I laughed out loud.  I liked it so much that I read the sequel:

Bloodstone-- Oh, Stacy.  What have you gotten yourself into this time? A teenager shows up in town claiming to be Stacy's sister and telling her that she has a clue to Stacy's (their) mother's dissapearance.  I liked this one even more than the first. More snark, more giggles, and I am finding myself thinking about the eccentric characters even now, days after I finished the book.  So, check out the Stacy Justice books--what can I say more?

The Afterlife Club-- Another typical paranormal romance, you may ask?  Well, that's what I thought, too, but I was wrong.  There is nothing typical about this book.  It follows Maddie as she gets in a bike accident and finds herself, well...dead.  Instead of everything being great, her baggage comes with her.  She still has to deal with her insecurities and looks at the life she had under a microscope, realizing that she could have done more, and been more, but there's nothing she can do about it now, right?  Nope, it seems that in the Afterlife Club, she still has to deal with her junk, and figure out how to be the person she wished she had been.  There is also another main character named Ryan who was there when Maddie died.  We follow his life and watch him struggle when his wife leaves him and their daughter.  And he becomes friends with Maddie's mom, helping to heal both of them.  It is a sweet, touching, at times heartbreaking read, but it has a satisfying, uplifting ending and I totally recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment